Welcome!!! I have decided to take a journey deep into my inner self to discover a deeper sense of peace and maybe even to get some of life's most puzzling questions answered. Feel free to join me on this journey and leave your thoughts...

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wedding Season - A Short Story


Wedding Season - A Short Story
by Myra Williams

The bible says that there’s a season for everything under the sun. Yesterday I attended my niece’s wedding and as the preacher read from the Bible, Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, a warm and salty tear rolled down my cheek. I know more about seasons, changes, transitions, heartache, heartbreak… (sigh) …than I care to even think about.

As I admire the shimmering and satin sashes of gold and beige my mind and heart is taken to a far away place. I think to myself, “When will it be my season to bask in beauty and warmth at my own wedding? Will I ever say those precious vows or know what it’s like to unite two families?

As my mind wanders more, another tear forms. I think, “Will they truly be happy? You know there’s a 50% chance that they will end up in divorce…yes but isn’t it worth it even if only to experience the beauty and awe that a wedding ceremony brings? The feelings of love, feelings of joy, the feelings of togetherness and unity that come from sharing a timeless and treasured tradition with friends and family… Who cares about the future? The future begins today…but first we gonna party like it’s 1999! Whoo hoo!”

I smile to myself then look around the chapel. I wonder which cutie here is coming home with me tonight. “Hmm…come on…where are you? We need to start planning our future together and we can start by getting it on tonight!” I smile to myself thinking about having a party between my legs. Umph umph umph… umm hmm...(sigh)

My cousin jolts me from my daydream with her elbow in my shoulder. I whisper to her loudly. “What?”
She points to a girl in a tight dress. “Look at that dress that girl got on!” She looks around to make sure no one is listening then whispers to me, “You can see her panties girl! It’s some hoes up in here!”
I elbow her back.
“Shut up girl. You so ghetto. Besides, it’s hoes everywhere…what choo talkin’ bout? Girl, I’m thinkin’ bout who I’m goin’ home with tonight. I got to find me a groom for my wedding, girl!” We both smile and laugh to ourselves.

Finally the preacher releases us and says, “I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.” Everyone in the chapel looks to see if he’s gonna give her tongue…then it’s over.
I turn to my cousin, “Let’s go party girl.”

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff...as I got caught up in the moment of dreaming of that day as well. To be united in front of all my family.

    I hope you do get married if only for the experience. ~ Ash

    ReplyDelete